The race started with a 600 yard swim. I tried to start toward the front to benefit from any draft that was created by people faster than me. I also enjoy being kicked in the face and slapped around a little every once-and-a-while. For those of you who have never seen the start of a triathlon, Ashley took a video, and it is posted under "Swim Start." For those of you who have never experienced a triathlon swim start check out the following reinactment:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3S0wu4Zbfk
I got out of the water a little behind the lead pack - in about 12 minutes, including a short run to the chip mat. I was not highly pleased with this time, but the water was rather choppy and there were several people who commented on their slow swim times (perhaps because the swim was long).

My T1 was a little shaky - first race of the season. But, I felt quite good on the 14 mile bike, finishing in just over 36 minutes - 23.3 mph average.
The run is always the toughest part of the triathlon - my legs want to go but my HR slows me down. I finished better than I anticipated - 3 miles in 21:27 for a 7:09 minute mile pace.
All together it was a decent race - I finished 5/23 in my age group and 46/264 overall. My final time was 1:12:18.5 for those interested in that sort of thing.
After the race, I had an interview from a very attractive local news anchor (from tv station WAJB) (also included on the video montage located on "Swim Start".)

Ashley and I will be headed to Europoe on Monday, July 16. We'll be blogging this trip so please keep checking out this site!
God Bless, GB



3 comments:
So, now I understand how you were able to get through grad school while still having the time to do this marathonging thingy; your meals were free!!!! Makes sense to me!
I'm looking forward to learning about your adventure in Europe!
Will
I will be passionately and jealously checking your blog while you're in Europe. Have a great time!
Graham- Congratulations on your triathlon performance!! I like your blog and I look forward to getting updates on your European adventure. However, if you and Ashley have to decide between one more world-class European experience / sightseeing adventure or stopping in at an internet cafĂ© to update us on all that is going on… I vote you go for the experience and wait a day or two more to update us. Have a blast! John
Post a Comment