When I was travelling to the OSCLG conference a few weeks ago, I let myself spend some time reading for fun at the airport, and I came across this little story in Parents magazine ...
"Turn off the tube"
You might like the TV on in the background while you do chores around the house, but if your toddler is in the room, it's best to keep it off. A recent study from the University of Massachusetts found that 1- to 3-year-olds played for shorter amounts of time and were less focused when a game show was on than when the television was off.
"Even if the program isn't one that kids are interested in, just having a TV on nearby disrupts their play, which may have a negative influence on their development," says researcher Daniel Anderson, Ph.D.
The American Academy of Pediatrics advises to "avoid any television" for babies before their 1 year birthday and "does not recommend televison for children ages two years old or younger."*
So, what do you think? Is this just craziness? How can you avoid television when countless restaurants have a screen on every wall? Does this mean talk shows on the radio are bad, too? What makes the difference?
Just wondering what you all have heard and think, so I thought I'd pass this on.
-ashley
*Shelov, S.P. (Editor-in-Chief). (2005). Your baby's first year (2nd ed.). Bantam Books: New York.
Wednesday, November 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
death to the tv!
I like to think that My Emma is brilliant, and she loves television. She plays with or without the TV on, and she started w/ Elmo when she was 6 months old. Syler, on the other hand, doesn't watch TV, and he still doesn't play as well as Emma does. I think it depends on how the child learns best. Emma is a visual/interacive learner, and Syler likes instruction. Go figure! You will do what is best for Lil' Eden.
Post a Comment