Monday, April 21, 2008

Ouch!

Nope ... Eden's fine! The title of this post references Dad's first running experience since Eden's birth (and I use the term "running" quite loosely). In fact, today was the first time I have done ANY exercise apart from a leisurely stroll around the block since her birth. Painful, yes. Rewarding, yes. Better than spending every possible waking moment with your firstborn, not at all.

Although my transition from swimming, biking, and running on a fairly regular basis to doing absolutely nothing for 5 1/2 weeks was buffered by a period whereby the three legs of the triathlon were almost exclusively replaced by Chapters 2, 3, and 4 of the dissertation (in preparation for her arrival), the complete lack of exercise recently is still not an easy thing for me to cope with. Exercse was my "sleep" insofar as I never thought I could do without it for such a sustained period of time. Don't get me wrong, sleep is nice but exercise kept me sane.

My triathlon sport has (at least for the meantime) been replaced with the three legs of early fatherhood - feeding, burping, and changing diapers. Just like the triathlon, however, there is a fourth leg ... one that is much more rewarding and relaxing than the three main legs. What the Transition is to triathlon, the "having Eden sit on my chest while I take in the miraculous fact that she is here" is to fatherhood - it makes it all the more easy to continue. Those moments make everything else in the world seem rather petty.

Yes, she's got me wrapped around her little finger, indeed. In fact, I've barely missed the training and see it more as a small part of who I am as opposed to the defining characteristic it once was. I suppose I'll get back into semi-regular training at some point; until then, I'm enjoying every moment of the three legs of early fatherhood - and basking in those "transitions."

God Bless, GB

p.s. Here's a new photo of Eden since I'm sure that's what you really came here to see.

No comments: